SILRES® BS 1316
SILRES® BS 1316 is used undiluted as a water-repellent primer and impregnating agent for normal and reinforced concrete.
SILRES® BS 1316 is a mixture of isomeric octyltrimethoxysilanes with isooctyltrimethoxysilane as main component.
- greatly delays chloride and water absorption by concrete
- reduces loss of concrete due to freeze / thaw action in the presence of de-icing salt
- high resistance to alkalis
- good depth of penetration
- low volatility
After application to the concrete, SILRES® BS 1316 reacts with the atmospheric moisture and pore water in the concrete, thereby generating the active ingredient while liberating alcohol. The active ingredient greatly lowers the water absorbency of the treated concrete, which nevertheless retains a very high degree of water vapour permeability since neither pores nor capillaries are clogged.
SILRES® BS 1316 is recommended as a water-repellent impregnating agent and primer for normal and reinforced concrete for bridges, roads and buildings.
Liberally apply two coats (wet-on-wet) of the impregnating agent uniformly to the concrete. Two coats are needed to ensure that all of the surface is covered. Do not allow puddles to form.
Apply as usual with a low-pressure airless spray, allowing the impregnating agent to flood over the surface. Perhaps use a roller afterwards to distribute the impregnating agent more evenly.
- Allow fresh concrete at least four weeks (preferably six) to set before impregnating it.
- Remove coarse particles and dust from new, unsoiled surfaces with a brush or compressed air. Use superheated steam to clean weathered surfaces that are heavily soiled with oil, abraded rubber, etc., prior to treatment.
- Only impregnate concrete that has a uniformly dry surface with no damp patches. Should it suddenly start to rain, stop treatment and cover the impregnated areas.
SILRES® BS 1316 is normally used undiluted.