GENIOSIL® NOTE is a colorless liquid with an unspecific odor.
GENIOSIL® NOTE is an n-alkylalkoxysilane and slowly reacts with moisture under formation of the alcohol and the corresponding silanol. By condensation on inorganic surfaces hydophobization or compatibilization with hydrophobic polymers can be achieved.
GENIOSIL® NOTE is for example used in the hydrophobization of concrete: After application to the concrete, GENIOSIL® NOTE reacts with the atmospheric moisture and pore water in the concrete, thereby generating the active ingredient while liberating alcohol. The active ingredient greatly lowers the water absorbency of the treated concrete, which nevertheless retains a very high degree of water vapour permeability since neither pores nor capillaries are clogged.
Treatment with GENIOSIL® NOTE leads to
- significant reduction of chloride and water absorption by concrete
- reduced loss of concrete due to freeze / thaw action in the presence of de-icing salt
- high resistance to alkaline substances
1. General processing information:
GENIOSIL® NOTE is highly miscible with standard organic solvents such as ethers and hydrocarbons.
Mixing with alcohols other than ethanol leads to a slow autocatalytic exchange of alkoxy groups until the system reaches thermodynamic equilibrium. This exchange is accelerated in the presence of acidic or basic substances
GENIOSIL® NOTE is almost insoluble in neutral water.
2. Application of GENIOSIL® NOTE as water-repellant impregnating agent: GENIOSIL® NOTE is recommended as a water-repellent impregnating agent and primer for normal and reinforced concrete for bridges, roads and buildings.
Liberally apply two coats (wet-on-wet) of the impregnating agent uniformly to the concrete. Two coats are needed to ensure that all of the surface is covered. Do not allow puddles to form. Apply with a low-pressure pump, allowing impregnating agent to flood over the surface. For even distribution use a roller afterwards.
- Allow fresh concrete at least two weeks - preferably four - to set before impregnating it, to ensure that the cement sets properly.
- Remove coarse particles and dust from new, unsoiled surfaces with a brush or compressed air. Use superheated steam to clean weathered surfaces that are heavily soiled with oil, abraded rubber, etc., prior to treatment.
- Only impregnate concrete that has a uniformly dry surface with no damp patches. An equilibrium in humidity with the outside air is reached, when a freshly produced surface of fracture is not turning lighter in appearance (due to drying). No darkening of concrete or condensation may occur over night underneath a PE film (500 mm x 500 mm) attached to the concrete at its edges.
- Should it suddenly start to rain, stop treatment and cover the impregnated areas.
GENIOSIL® NOTE should not get into direct contact with bitumen. The resistance of thermal insulating materials against GENIOSIL® NOTE has to be determined.
Information on available container sizes is obtainable from WACKER subsidiaries.
The ‘Best use before end’ date of each batch is shown on the product label. Storage beyond the date specified on the label does not necessarily mean that the product is no longer usable. In this case however, the properties required for the intended use must be checked for quality assurance reasons.
Registration (selected countries / regions)
Listed on or in accordance with the following
EINECS – Europe
ECL – Korea
ENCS – Japan
AICS – Australia
IECSC – China
DSL – Canada
PICCS – Philippines
TSCA – USA