SILRES® MSE 100
SILRES® MSE 100 is the methyl ester of a mixture of different oligomeric methylsilicates. It is a methoxyfunctional methyl polysiloxane.
Typical application of SILRES® MSE 100 is the use as binder for coatings with these key properties:
- resistance to high heat
- room temperature cure
- no smoke generation during (first) heating
- high hardness, no thermoplasticity
SILRES® MSE 100 is recommended as an ambient temperature moisture-curing binder for heat resistant paints. In combination with suitable catalysts and temperature stable pigments and fillers, SILRES® MSE 100 is the optimum binder for ambient curing, heat resistant paints. The curing rate depends on the catalyst used and on the relative humidity. After paint application and paint drying, coatings based on SILRES® MSE 100 can withstand temperatures of up to 650°C (1200°F) without loosing adhesion.
- low viscous liquid, solventfree silicone binder (solvent content < 2%)
- very high inorganic content (corresponds to 68 - 72% SiO2)
- curable at ambient temperature within less than 15 min
- no smoke generation upon initial stoving
- limited compatibility (preferably used as a sole binder)
Store in a dry and cool place.
Protect against moisture.
Heat resistant paints based on SILRES® MSE 100 can be either formulated as one or two-pack systems.
One-pack systems are very sensitive to moisture once the catalyst has been added to the paint. Typically, pigments, fillers (mica or talc), (anti-settling) additives, catalyst(s), additional solvents (where necessary) are mixed/dispersed with the binder SILRES® MSE 100. Storage stability has to be checked carefully during development and production scale-up.
Two-pack systems offer much longer shelf-life. First pack: Pigments, fillers (mica or talc), (anti-settling-) additives, additional solvents (where necessary) are mixed/dispersed with the binder SILRES® MSE 100. Second pack contains catalyst(s) and additional solvents where necessary. Both packs are mixed immediately before use.
Suitable catalysts include acids and bases, tin, zinc, titanium and zirconium copmounds. Recommended standard catalyst is WACKER® Catalyst TC 44.
The best adhesion and corrosion resistance is obtained with platelet-shaped pigments and fillers.
Example formulations are available on request.
Basic handling instructions:
- Surface pretreatment: Sand-blasting and degreasing by suitable solvents is highly recommended.
- Paint application by spraying, dipping or brushing.
- Provide adequate ventilation to maintain concentrations of particulates and any vapour below occupational exposure limits.
- Dry-to-touch is approx. 30 min at ambient temperature and 50% relative humidity.
- Recommended DFT is 15 to 25µm.
SILRES® MSE 100 is the binder of choice for all heat resistant coatings between 200°C (400°F) and 650°C (1200°F) which have to cure at ambient temperature prior to heat exposure. In many applications the major target of the coating is to provide corrosion resistance to the steel or aluminium substrate. Corrosion resistance can be further improved if a zinc-rich ethylsilicate is used as a primer (thereby lowering maximum operation temperature to around 420°C). Maximum heat resistance depends on the paint formulation, especially on the pigments used. A maximium temperature up to 650°C (1200°F) is observed for silver-coloured aluminium pigments and about 500°C (930°F) for black pigments. Others colors are possible as well.
- automotive, motor-bike and aircraft parts (e. g. exhaust systems, mufflers, engine parts)
- industrial coatings (Chimneys, furnaces, gas boilers, heat exchangers, light bulbs)
- household & appliances (ovens (inserts), stoves, barbecues)
- 25 kg Steel can
- 200 kg Steel drum
- 1000 kg IBC
SILRES® MSE 100 must be stored in tightly closed original containers with exclusion of moisture. Contact with tin (e.g. with improper metal containers) or moisture will cause gelation.
The 'Best use before end' date of each batch is shown on the product label.
Storage beyond the date specified on the label does not necessarily mean that the product is no longer usable. In this case however, the properties required for the intended use must be checked for quality assurance reasons.