SILRES® BS 16040
SILRES® BS 16040 is a water dilutable, solvent free silane emulsion. SILRES® BS 16040 is a highquality specialty
product for hydrophobic impregnating and priming of alkaline substrates.
SILRES® BS 16040 is characterised by:
- good depth of penetration
- dilutable with water, and free of solvents
- low volatility
- high resistance to alkalis
- stable in storage, even when diluted
Treated concrete will have the following permanent properties:
- dramatic reduction in chloride and water absorption
- no loss in breathability
- improved durability against freeze-thaw de-icing salt stress
- enhanced durability
- provides good adhesion for paints
In the construction material, SILRES® BS 16040 reacts with atmospheric moisture and / or the water in the building material’s pores, eliminating alcohol. The active thus substance formed greatly reduces the concrete’s absorbency in the active zone (penetration depth after post treatment), but without blocking any pores or capillaries. The impregnated building material retains very high water-vapor permeability.
All the information provided is in accordance with the present state of our knowledge. Nonetheless, we disclaim any warranty or liability whatsoever and reserve the right, at any time, to effect technical alterations. The information provided, as well as the product's fitness for an intended application, should be checked by the buyer in preliminary trials. Contractual terms and conditions always take precedence. This disclaimer of warranty and liability also applies particularly in foreign countries with respect to third parties' rights.
The work performed (preparing the concrete surface, setting up a reference surface, application and quality control) must follow the applicable regulations (in Germany these are the DAfStb repair work guidelines and the ZTV-ING).
- Concrete should not be impregnated until at least four weeks after it has been produced so that the setting of the cement is not affected.
- New surfaces that are still unsoiled must be cleansed of coarse particles and dust deposits by sweeping or, if necessary, using compressed air. Surfaces already weathered, and those heavily soiled by oil, rubber residue, etc., must first be cleaned using superheated steam or high-pressure water before commencing treatment. It is imperative that the water used be siphoned off immediately to prevent saturation of the concrete.
- Impregnation should always be performed on superficially dry concrete, i.e., when the surface of the concrete appears evenly dry, no more damp patches are visible and the moisture content equilibrium is established. To this end, moisture in the surface zone of the concrete is measured using a suitable technique (CM method or other methods allowed under ZTV-ING).The surface-zone moisture content of the concrete (from the surface to a depth of 20 mm) should not exceed 4 wt%.
- Evenly apply the impregnating agent to the building material in two coats, wet-on-wet. The two coats are absolutely essential to prevent the formation of defects in the impregnated surface. Do not allow puddles to form. The impregnating agent is applied by flow coating at reduced pressure (1-2 bar). A lambskin roller may be used afterward for more even coverage. - In the event of unexpected rain, cover surfaces already impregnated and halt all further impregnation.
SILRES® BS 16040 is recommended for the hydrophobic impregnation and priming of concrete and reinforced concrete in road, bridge and building construction. For the hydrophobic impregnation of high-grade, load bearing concrete SILRES® BS 16040 must be used undiluted.
Sales and support
How can we help you?
- Do you need help in choosing a product or do you require technical support? If so, please contact our experts.
Would you like a product sample?
You can request a product sample here.Request sample
Please choose an application for viewing your product matches.