VINNECO® dispersions and dispersible polymer powders are available for a broad range of applications, e.g. architectural coatings, construction products and adhesives.
VINNECO® is WACKER’s brand of vinyl acetate co- and terpolymer dispersions and dispersible polymer powders produced using renewable raw materials. Committed to provide sustainable solutions for our customers, we support two major approaches:
Biomass Balance Approach
VINNECO® grades are identical to their VINNAPAS® parent grades. This makes them drop-in solutions requiring no reformulation by customers. The biomass balance approach also means that the bio-based content is not detectable in the final product. Proof is available via certification. This approach is used for both dispersions and dispersible polymer powders.
VINNECO® grades have a new chemistry requiring reformulation by customers. The bio-based content is detectable in the final product. This dedicated production method is only used for dispersions in architectural coatings applications.
Logo of WACKER’s biomass balance approach
WACKER uses bio-based acetic acid which is a sustainable certified wood byproduct in accordance to the Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification Schemes (PEFC®). The bio-based acetic acid is added right at the start of the production. The biomass balance approach is used to calculate how much VAE dispersion has been produced from renewable and, thus, non fossil-based raw materials. WACKER’s product line VINNECO® is certified according to the REDcert2 biomass balance approach and audited by the external party TÜV Nord. The bio-based acetic acid has all the same characteristics of a fossil-based high-quality product in terms of required specification.
Characteristics and Benefits:
- Dispersions are available with 60 or 100% renewable content based on solids; dispersible polymer powders are only available with 100% renewables
- Product performance identical to fossil-based VINNAPAS® parent grade
- No reformulation necessary
- Certification according to the REDcert2 standard and audited by the external party TÜV Nord
- Available for dispersions and dispersible polymer powders produced at the European production sites
- Available for products used in architectural coatings, adhesives, nonwovens and technical textiles, as well as carpet and construction applications
C2 Value Stream Allows Biomass-Based Sourcing of VAM
With the REDcert2 biomass balance approach the renewable content in the endproduct has been verified. It is audited by TÜV Nord, one of the largest certification agencies in Europe with over 150 years of experience.
Logo of WACKER’s dedicated production method
To offer VINNECO® VAE-based binders with measurable renewable content, WACKER joined forces with DYNAPLAK. The Dutch company develops and produces modified starch for industrial applications. The starch sources from industrial waste streams and was used to develop hybrid binders consisting of VAE and starch for paints and coatings applications. These VINNECO® grades are new products with new properties that require reformulation by customers.
Characteristics and Benefits:
- Contains modified starch obtained as a side-stream product of industrial potato processing
- Bio content approx. 30% based on solids
- Measurable via isotope analysis
Certification of bio-based content possible for example via VINÇOTTE under EN 16785-1
Incorporation of Bio-Material Downstream Allows for Measurable Renewable Content in the Final Product
VINNECO® starch hybrid grades have a 14C detectable biomass content. They have different properties than their VINNAPAS® parent grades and require a reformulation of the end product.