VINNECO® dispersions and dispersible polymer powders are available for a broad range of applications, e.g. architectural coatings, construction products and adhesives.
VINNECO® is WACKER’s brand of vinyl acetate co- and terpolymer dispersions and dispersible polymer powders produced using renewable resources. Committed to provide sustainable solutions for our customers, we support two major approaches:
These VINNECO® grades are identical to their VINNAPAS® parent grades. This makes them drop-in solutions requiring no reformulation by customers. It also means that the bio content is not detectable in the final product. Proof is available via certification. The biomass balance approach is used for dispersions and dispersible polymer powders.
These VINNECO® grades have a new chemistry requiring reformulation by customers. The bio content is detectable in the final product. This dedicated production method is only used for dispersions.
Logo of WACKER’s mass balance method
WACKER uses acetic acid that is generated from wood from sustainably managed forests that are PEFC® certified. This bio-based acetic acid is added right at the start of the production. The mass balance method is used to calculate how much VAE dispersion has been produced from renewable and, thus, non-fossil raw materials. TÜV SÜD, the international technical inspectorate and certification body, has certified WACKER’s mass balance method as meeting its international CMS 71 standard. The bio-based acetic acid has all the characteristics of a fossil-based high-quality product in terms of required specification.
Characteristics and Benefits:
- Dispersions are available with 60 or 100% renewable content based on solids; dispersible polymer powders are only available with 100% renewables
- Product performance identical to non-biomass VINNAPAS® parent grade
- No reformulation necessary
- Certification via TÜV SÜD standard CMS 71 “Renewable Resources"
- Available for dispersions, dispersible polymer powders and solid resins produced at the European production sites
- Available for products used in architectural coatings, adhesives, engineered fabrics, non-wovens, as well as carpet and construction applications
C2 Value Stream Allows Biomass-Based Sourcing of VAM
With the mass balance approach the renewable content in the endproduct is not measurable via isotope analysis. It is certified by TÜV Süd, one of the largest certification agencies in Europe with over 150 years of experience and more than 1,000 locations worldwide.
Logo of WACKER’s dedicated production method
To offer VINNECO® VAE-based binders with measurable renewable content, WACKER joined forces with DYNAPLAK. The Dutch company develops and produces modified starch for industrial applications. The starch sources from industrial waste streams and was used to develop hybrid binders consisting of VAE and starch for paints and coatings applications. These VINNECO® grades are new products with new properties that require reformulation by customers.
Characteristics and Benefits:
- Contains modified starch obtained as a side-stream product of industrial potato processing
- Bio content approx. 30% based on solids
- Measurable via isotope analysis
Certification of bio-based content possible for example via VINÇOTTE under EN 16785-1
Incorporation of Bio-Material Downstream Allows for Measurable Renewable Content in the Final Product
VINNECO® starch hybrid grades have a 14C detectable biomass content. They have different properties than their VINNAPAS® parent grades and require a reformulation of the end product.