Activity Week for Sustainability
Burghausen, Oct 23, 2019
WACKER held a second Groupwide Sustainability Week this October. This time, employees from 20 sites took part in around 50 activities. For example, they implemented upcycling projects, developed ideas for sustainable packaging and set themselves goals for their personal CO2 footprint.
With WACKER’s Sustainability Week, the Corporate Sustainability team proposes Groupwide activities for sustainable development. The activity week encourages employees to help change an aspect of sustainability for the better.
Held for the first time in 2018, this second activity week focused on UN Sustainable Development Goal No. 12 – “Sustainable Consumption and Production.”
For sustainability goal 12, employees proposed suggestions and activities for topics such as:
- Sustainable production
- Conserving natural resources
- Not wasting food
- Preventing and recycling trash
- Raising awareness and consciousness
- Responsible waste disposal
- Sustainable procurement
Examples of Groupwide projects, some of which continue after the campaign week, include:
- Using recyclable packaging
- Avoiding car trips and taking public transportation or biking instead
- Using video conferences instead of flying
- Modifying production processes
- Promoting sustainable consumption
- Increasing inclusion of customers in our sustainability dialogue
- Using digitalization to implement sustainable aspects in production
- Designing office and meeting equipment to be sustainable
WACKER employees had already demonstrated their self-initiative this year in advance of the Sustainability Week. For example, the Czech site team in Pilsen collected trash in a recreational area as part of the “Clean up the world” project. A WACKER Singapore team picked up and disposed of trash that had been washed up on the beach.
Now in its 22nd year, WACKER held its “Household Hazardous Waste Collection Day” for neighbors of its Adrian site in Michigan, USA. The annual event provides an opportunity for nearby residents to bring in household products that are not allowed in trash containers. WACKER employees collect this household hazardous waste and dispose of and/or recycle it appropriately.
Wacker Chemie AG
Tel. +49 89 6279-1165